Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Holding Back


It's hard to hold back the urge to start planning the veggie garden. What I mean is, starting to till the soil. Well it's just not warm enough here in our climate. We still have snow on the ground, but it is disappearing rapidly. I had to stop at my gardening mentors business ,www.Local 98856.com. Her name is Tess and the first thing she said to me was, "Are you getting excited about gardening?" I said I'm really trying to hold back those feelings, because I know it's way to early. I have started my Walla Walla Sweets and the green onions from seed, and they are coming up, but these need to be started this early if you want them ready in May to plant. Soon, in about a month I will start Tomato seeds, and so on. I just purchased another blue bird house, because after my large family of Blue Birds we had last summer, I thought I'd better be prepared. This just gives me the goose bumps thinking about it. I have to remind myself about all the extra work I'll have when the time comes. So I should just do what I need to do now, and not jump the gun and get to excited. I have weaving to do, knitting to finish, books to read and so on. I've been trying to walk no less than three miles a day, and hope to add more on as the days get warmer, the ole body just doesn't want to move to fast in the cold. Thanks for letting me talk this out with you, I think it's helped me to think before I leap into gardening to soon.

3 comments:

Carol............. said...

Whooo there............

Usually my big mistake after returning to Washington the end of April is to start planting! (only to have the plantlings freeze or the seeds rot!) I need to learn patience and NOT plant anything until the middle of May!

I know just how you feel....itchy fingers to get your hands in some good dirt!

Diana said...

Carol Right on the money. Last night after dinner I took a walk around the property, and when I was done Lonny asked me what I was doing. Well I said it's not dark at 5:30 and I thought I should enjoy the day light, it seems so long since we've had any.

Holly said...

The cherry trees are blooming over here as is one of my plum trees. But the Mason bees are still in their little houses. Can I wake them up by pointing the hair dryer at their little houses? Just kidding, but if they don't get their wee butts out into the garden some of my plums won't be happening this year.