Sunday, January 7, 2007

Celebrating Rock Day


Well here it is already the seventh of Jan. Yesterday was rock day, and Jan, Kaitie and I celebrated by spinning all day. We had a great time visiting and one of the questions on our mines was what in the heck is Rock Day. Most spinners I know celebrate it, so I looked it up and found out it's a real thing not just an excuse for spinners to gather ( not that we need any excuses). Well to make a very long story short It's the day,which was also know as rock day( referring to another name for either the distaff or the spindle) indicated that this was the end of the Christmas festivities and the return to the normality of spinning whenever there was a spare moment.As Anthony Fitzherbert, wrote in his book'Boke Husbandry' (1523) it's stoppeth a gap...it saveth a woman from being idle, and the product was needful'.
Oh my gosh! Am I glad I can spin when ever I want. Spell check doesn't even recognize stoppeth or saveth. Well in the end it's always a great way to start the New Year for us spinners. Spin on spinners!

No comments: