Monday, March 19, 2007

Helping friends with knitting challenges

Sara's Betty Jo Roberts wheel, it's a beauty!
Debbie Christopherson

Check this store out if you ever get to Winthrop!


Last Wednesday night I went to the Ashford Gallery, that is owned by my friend Sara Ashford and her husband Don. Don is a potter extraordinaire, he makes all the beautiful pottery in this store. Sara is also an artist,she does many things, spin, weaves knits, but most of all she is an artist of natural dyes. She has spent a couple of years studying with Michele Whiplinger. Sara has such an artistic eye for color and makes it come alive in silk. This shop is eye candy, but now she's taken it a step further to add a greatly needed source in this valley and that is top of the line yarns and needles. So this all brings me to helping friends with knitting challenges. Sara has been for several years offered help with spinning and knitting by opening her store after hours for a inspiring time of sharing. So last year I started going every Wednesday night and what a great group of gals. We are all so different but knitting has brought us together. So Sara asked me if I would help get the group started on a sock. We are using the book "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" by Cat Bordi. So last Wednesday night we got started,some of these gals are beginners. I thought they did really well, it's hard to see this method in your head if you don't have some experience and in truth I had never done this method, well I did, but different in that, I knit two socks at one time from the toe to the end of the cuff, with an after thought heel. So the same idea. So here are some pictures of the shop and the beautiful Debbie Christopherson, my friend and neighbor, who is the fastest learner on earth. This is an awesome life and these are awesome people. Diana

1 comment:

Deb said...

I'm trying this again...I don't know where the other post went..."blog air"?? Sara taught me to spin in her shop (Twisted Sisters) a few years ago. Sara is so giving to her community, a true gift. All that spinning lead to me to reteach myself knitting after 30+ yrs...and only the basics. Needless to say, Diana is my knitting mentor/guru...she's absolutely incredible! She really is! She taught me how to knit fansy socks and can give instructions over the phone!! This is a great life with great people/friends! I'm happy to be a part of it. :)deb